Saturday 14 September 2013

Cuppa and a Catch Up with Lynne Stringer


When did you start writing?
I started writing books when I was eight years old. I wrote a little story called Goldie the Pony, complete with illustrations, and presented it to my parents. Sadly, I didn’t keep it.

What is your favourite place and time to write?
I don’t really have a favourite place. My favourite time is when the inspiration is in my head, forcing me to sit down and write it! Of course, that can be any time on the clock. 

What writing groups do you belong to?
I belong to a science fiction/fantasy group and a Christian writers’ group, both on Facebook.

Why did you/do you want to become an author?
I wanted to become an author because there were stories in my head I had to get out. Becoming a published author was a different thing. I didn’t think my stories would necessarily entertain anyone else, but I gave a copy of The Heir (my debut novel, and the first book in the Verindon trilogy) to some friends to read. They were ecstatic and encouraged me to try and get it published. I dedicated the book to them as a thank you.


What are you currently reading?
I have just finished Divergent by Veronica Roth and I’m just about to start on Insurgent, its sequel.

Who are your favorite authors?
I love the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, Baroness Orczy, Stephenie Meyer, and I think I’m about to add Veronica Roth to that list!

What is your current project?
The Crown, which is the sequel to The Heir, will be released in November, so I’ve been doing a lot of proofing on that up until now. The final book in my trilogy, The Reign, will be out in May, so I guess I’ll soon be editing that one.


Do you write with a visual image of the illustrations for your book?
My books don’t have illustrations, but I do picture the action in my head.

If you could bring a fictional character to life, who would it be?
Hm, that’s a very hard question. I would probably say Edward Cullen, as he would be fascinating to talk to, but only if he was self-controlled as he is in the books!

Where do you get your inspiration from?
Other books, my own imagination, things I see on TV and at the movies. It all comes together to make something new.

Do you/Would you do all the marketing of your books or do you/would you have someone supporting you in that role?
I do some of my marketing, while some is done by my publishers. I find marketing difficult. If they could take it over and do it all for me, I would be happy!

What do you want your legacy to be?
I would like to think that I wrote stories that ordinary people enjoyed. I do try to slip a little bit of a message in my writing, but it’s not a huge priority for me. I’d rather take my readers to another world and give them a bit of escapism. If I am remembered for that, I will be satisfied.

You can learn more about Lynne at her website http://www.lynnestringer.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment