Tuesday 17 September 2013

Cuppa and a Catch up with Guest Author Elizabeth Klein

Elizabeth Klein

 Image

When did you start writing? 
I’ve loved stories from an early age and looked forward to writing them in class with a passion. Back then, I wasn’t a very good writer, but I loved imagining unusual places and characters. So, when did I start writing? Probably in primary.  

What is your favourite place and time to write? 
My favourite place to write is where I’ve set up my computer. It’s beside huge glass doors that slide open onto a garden full of wild plants and trees, and flowers in enormous, green pots. My favourite time is the mornings when I feel freshest with ideas.  

What writing groups do you belong to? 
Quite a few. The Sutherland Shire FAW, Brit Writers, Omega Writers, Australasian Christian Writers are just some.
  

Why did you/do you want to become an author? 
I think wanting to become an author is just the natural progression on from the love of writing that writers have. I wanted to share the incredible worlds, characters and adventures with others, not just with my family.  

What are you currently reading? 
I can’t help it: The Hobbit (again!) 

Who are your favourite authors? 
Emily Rodda, Terry Brooks, J. R. R. Tolkein, Robert Jordon, Frank Peretti 

What is your current project? 
At the moment, I’m really trying to complete the climax of Book 4 in my Bethloria series. It’s called Crown of Shadows and will be finished by the end of the year if not sooner. 

Do you write with a visual image of the illustrations for your book? 
My book doesn’t have illustrations other than a different map at the front of each new book. However, I always visualize what is happening in my mind first before I write it down. I thoroughly see the scenes, hear the characters speaking, the dangers approaching and then I am able to write it. Thank God for imagination! 

If you could bring a fictional character to life, who would it be? 
That’s something I’ve never thought of, but an interesting question. Because I loved the Deltora Quest so much, I’d love to one day see it as a movie—with real life people acting the parts, not cartoon characters. I guess I’d love to see the three main characters in real life.  

Where do you get your inspiration from? 
From everywhere, especially TV. Dreams and documentaries play a huge part in my creations. I also get ideas when I’m driving around, hearing people talk, on holidays. Just about anything can spark off a trail of thought that ignites into a fiery saga in my soul. I keep an ideas book handy which is filling with future stories. Just need the time to write them. 

Do you/Would you do all the marketing of your books or do you/would you have someone supporting you in that role? 
I’ve dubbed my husband the PAAA, which stands for Personal Attempt At Assistant. It’s a joke between us, of course, but in reality I don’t know what I’d do without his support. He’s my manager, agent, computer fixer, ink changer and clever strategist when I can’t see a way out of a scene. (And there’s been a few of those). 
I’ll do most of the marketing, the writing of blogs, interviews, letters, follow-up phone calls, etc.  

What do you want your legacy to be? 
I’d like to be remembered for the sublime story of love in my books and that light always overcomes the darkness in the world, no matter what kind of world it is and no matter how dark things become.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment